15 July 2016
2016 focused update: clinical recommendations for cardiopulmonary exercise testing data assessment in specific patient populations
This scientific statement is a focused update to the 2012 Joint Scientific Statement on Clinical Recommendations for Cardiopulmonary Exercise (CPX) Testing Data Assessment in Specific Patient Populations from the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR) and the American Heart Association (AHA).
The purposes of this article published on the European Heart Journal are thus to:
- confirm algorithms included in the initial scientific statement not requiring revision,
- to propose revisions to algorithms included in the initial scientific statement,
- to propose new algorithms based on emerging scientific evidence,
- to further clarify the application of oxygen consumption (VO2) at ventilatory threshold (VT),
- to describe CPX variables with an emerging scientific evidence base,
- to describe the synergistic value of combining CPX with other assessments,
- to discuss personnel considerations for CPX laboratories,
- to provide recommendations for future CPX research
CPX is a valuable clinical assessment and has a number of indications. The 2012 scientific statement and the present focused update possess evidence-based CPX algorithms for these test indications. The continued intent is to streamline test interpretation while optimizing data visualization through a color-coded approach.
The article details are the following:
- Title: "2016 focused update: clinical recommendations for cardiopulmonary exercise testing data assessment in specific patient populations"
- Authors: Guazzi M, Arena R, Halle M, Piepoli MF, Myers J, Lavie CJ
- Published in: Eur Heart J. 2016 May 2
The study can be downloaded for free at the following link: click here
Founded in 1980, COSMED is a privately owned company manufacturing Cardio Pulmonary and Metabolic Diagnostic Equipment. COSMED products include a full range of Spirometers, Pulmonary Function, Body Composition, Nutritional Assessment and Cardio Pulmonary Exercise systems, including Electrocardiographs, Ergometers and Assessment Software. COSMED solutions are aimed for either professional or medical use for many different applications like: Hospital, Clinics, Primary Care, University & Education in Human Physiology, Clinical Nutrition, Commercial Weight Management, Human Performance Centers, Sport Institutions and Health Club Industry. COSMED Headquarters are located in the province of Rome, Italy. COSMED has subsidiaries in the USA, China and Germany, and distributes its products internationally through a constantly growing distributor network covering more than 70 countries.